AKESO MAGP™ is a technique which has increased precision of hair transplant 2.5 – 10 times than traditional FUE . Traditional FUE hair transplant had always struggled to make itself standard and Patients are always seeking for right doctor and right technique. While most of websites from individual doctors and clinics claim only 1 – 5 % graft transaction rates but those claims were not realistic as they don’t count partial transactions. You have to give your valuable 15 mins to this page to get the right concept of this New high Precision hair transplant technique. To understand AKESO MAGP™ you have to go back to basics.
Structure of graft
If you are a advance searcher on internet regarding hair transplant, then you know that one hair = 1 follicle . Collection of hair/follicles which are adjacent to each other is called follicular unit . A follicular unit can have 1 – 4 hair or follicles . When follicular unit (FU ) is taken out from your scalp , it is called Graft . So One graft has 1 – 4 follicles or hair.
Distribution and percentage of hair Units
Normally about 5 – 10 % hair units or grafts contain single hair . About 40 – 50 % grafts or FU contain two hair . About 40 % grafts or FU have three hair. about 5 – 10 % may have more than 3 hair. This distribution depends on age , sex , stage of baldness , donor area condition etc .
Calculation of grafts in traditional FUE Surgery
If surgeon score your skin to extract graft , he defines it successful even if one hair root is intact during graft extraction process.
Suppose you have 100 three hair grafts or follicular units. Ideally you must get 100 X 3 = 300 hair when these are used as grafts.
Suppose a surgeon damages 3 hair units completely and able to extract remaining 97 hair units/ grafts with at least one intact hair. If a surgeon damages one hair in 50 grafts, you will get 100 hair out of those 50 grafts instead of 150 hair. In 47 grafts he damages two out of these three hair during extraction of graft , the grafts extracted have only one hair. You get 47 hair out of these 47 grafts .
Total number of hair you are getting = (50 X 2 ) + (47 X 1 ) = 100 + 47 = 147
Ideally you must have got 100 X 3 = 300 hair if 100 grafts are extracted .
Hair transplant Surgeon has extracted 97 grafts intact so he will say that only 3 grafts are completely transected. So according to him his graft transection rate is only 3 % .
But you got 147 out of 300 hair which you could get if proper surgery was done . So he damaged 153 out of 300 hair . His real transection rate is 153 /300 X 100 = 51 %
So on his website he conveniently mentioned 2 – 4 % transection of grafts but in reality he has 51 %
Concept of AKESO MAGP™
Before understanding this We should understand , why transections occur in traditional FUE Surgery
- Inadequate Training and hand eye co-ordination – FUE hair transplant requires lot of hand eye co- ordination for perfection. A doctors eye can see the graft and its angle from scalp but their hands are unable to exactly align the micro punches in direction of hair so graft is transected. There may be 100 doctors in a city who are doing FUE hair transplant but Everyone is not getting results because of lack of adequate training and hand eye co ordination their complete and partial graft transection rate provides less than 50 % hair / follicles than their claims .
- Inadequate magnification : – At most of places around the world doctors are not trained to operate under microscopes or higher magnification . At higher magnifications the hair are seen much clear but becoz of lack of training in microsurgery , most of doctors are not able to do hand eye coordination at higher magnification . Further aggravating the situation , FUE is mostly done by Dermatologist who don’t have any surgical training So they start it with naked eye and gradually start wear magnifying loupes of 2.5 X to 4 X magnifications . Besides training , Surgical microscopes are expensive things to buy . Most of plastic surgeons can work at 4 X magnification but only few have capability to do hand eye coordination at 10 X to 25 X magnifications. Further at higher magnifications the speed of doctor becomes so low that they are able to deliver less than 1000 grafts in a day .
- Using Very sharp punches :- Sharp punches are intended to cut only till dermis in original Harris FUE technique but doctors try to use them even deeper to dermis levels . Most doctors want to follow two step FUE rather than 3 step FUE originally described by inventor of FUE technique.
- Punches having centripetal edges :- The punches available in market try to sharpen the cutting edge of punch by erasing outer wall of punch at the tip . About all punch companies are following same rules of sharpening the punches, resulting in cutting of hair or graft even with slightest of contact .
- No depth control guide given on punches – No guard are there on punches to guide the surgeon for consistent depth after each scoring movement
- Using High speed in Micromotors during FUE
- Inadequate Light – Most of Operating surgeons tend to believe in traditional halogen lights which give illumination of 20000 lumens . Adequate light mean more than 100000 lumens or more which is not available in traditional OTs as they have been made to do surgery of big things not for small miniature thing
After studying all the above factor you must have known the imperfection of FUE lies in various factors which are related with surgeon skills and supporting instrumentation So we modified the factors
- Microscope Assisted :- Dr Akhilesh is microsurgeon who have very high hand eye coordination to operate even at 25 X magnification . AKESO is first clinic in new Delhi to make Microscope 10 X – 20 X magnification standard during graft extraction. Previously also various doctors have tried this but most of them could not extract more than 1000 grafts in one day at these magnifications so the idea of microscopic 10 X – 20 X magnification could not be used in clinical practice. Dr Akhilesh is able to extract more than 2000 grafts per day in this technique
- Dr Akhilesh Punch – Dr Akhilesh has done 3 modifications in existing punches a. 10 degree Centrifugal edge – As the hair in each graft are in center , the centrifugal semi sharp edge does not cut the graft. b. Semi sharp edges – so that no graft is cut easily c. Punch Guard – to prevent punch from going deeper than certain level so that graft is not cut
- Low Micromotor speeds – Are used during graft extraction to deliver
- Light intensity – Clear LED lights having more than 1 lakh Lumens were installed in AKESO procedure rooms to do hair transplant